[packagekit] PackageKit and yum --skip-broken

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 00:52:03 PDT 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Rahul Sundaram
>> <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Wasn't aware of that. This doesn't seem to be intuitive. IIRC the GNOME
>>> HIG discourages options that are only accessible via the context menus
>>> as well. I doubt users at http://packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html are
>>> going to discover this either.
>>>
>> Most users shouldn't ever need to be aware of these options. It's just
>> for the few of us using broken "development" repositories.
>>

> Just plain wrong. There are plenty of reasons to cherry pick packages
> and not just because of broken repositories. Sometimes I am on a low
> bandwidth connection and want to pick the small but high impact updates
> for example.
>
> Rahul

Rahul has a point here, i would be cool if there was a way to do
"select only security updates" you can do it, when adding updates
automatic, but not in the tool (AFAIK).
I also think an option to "Automatic skip packages with problems" would
be nice to have.
I know that one of idea behind pk, it to makes tool there can be used by
novice users, but what about the rest of the user,
should they be forced to use a cli to get thinks done.
it is possible to design tools there fit novice user and the rest too,
especially  if a tool the default update tool in a distro, then it
should fit as
many distro users as possible.  maybe a swich like "Enable advandced
option",  could enable/disable advanced option, there might confuse the
novice users.
I have made some improvements to the current yum version i rawhide, that
makes i possible to return the packages there get skipped, when
skip-broken is used, this can be used to signal to packagekit what has
been skipped. So it could be presented to the users.

Tim