[packagekit] ALPM Backend

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 04:06:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answers.
I've some concerns about this:

> RefreshCache should refresh all of them. It's uninteresting to the users
what is being synced
Well, a nice point of view. But what is "all"? ALPM has no idea about which
repositories are "all". This shall be handled by clients, since it gives the
opportunity to define custom repositories (as commercial licenses, external
packaged software like kdemod in arch linux as a very popular example).

There is no .repo file created by ALPM. Actually, ALPM does not feature a
configuration or similar (this is wanted by the devs).

> Don't you cache the url like a yum .repo file does?
There is a configuration file, for the main package manager (pacman), where
the databases and mirrors are defined:

-------
/etc/pacman.conf
[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
[...]
[custom]
Server = http://whatever.com

The mirrorlist is the file, defining the main mirror to be used. Usually, if
a mirror is not reachable (first in file), the 2nd is taken:
Server = http://ftp.gigabit.nu/$repo/os/i686
Server = http://server.elsistech.com/archlinux/$repo/os/i686
[...]
-------

Pacman (the main package management tool for ARCH Linux) uses this
configuration files, parses it (which repositories are active), and replaces
the $repo with the current repository - and sets those options to the alpm
library.

Now, so far fine. I'm not sure about other "alpm" based package management
systems (I don't know if they actually exist. At leat pacmanng exists
somewhere around, and other things abstracting ALPM).

So this is rather not a user, but a technical problem.

-- About power users / abilities --
The question is, where to draw the line between power user and normal user?
This are basic functions, needed to get the alpm implementation working.
Of course, I could just define the "standard" of arch linux (core, extra,
community), and do not provide any other repositories to be added and/or
synced.

Kind regards,
Georg