[packagekit] renice worker threads to idle priority

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 23:46:26 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 17:20 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> I agree about idle tasks but certainly not package (un)installation.
> It's transaction-based and should be completed as soon as possible.

Sure, I agree with you both. The point of PackageKit is that is just
works, without the user sitting and waiting for stuff to happen; you can
do other things safely while it's working in the background.

If the system is idle, then PK does things as fast as possible, if it's
busy, then we should probably let firefox (or whatever) do it's thing --
I don't want updating in the background to make the system grind to a
halt.

What about the following patch? Do you think we need to get the nice
value out from PackageKit.conf rather than hardcoding it to PRIO_MIN?