[packagekit] This dialog sucks

Jon McCann jmccann at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 09:09:06 PDT 2009

Hey,

----- "Richard Hughes" <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> The attached dialog for agreeing to a repository signature sucks. If
> you've got any ideas how to make it prettier, I'm all ears.
>
> I'm pretty sure we have to show all the information, and I'm not sure
> there's much we can do that's clever. I know we talked of
> whitelisting
> "safe" keys, but that didn't go down well with RH legal. We also
> can't
> do this internally to PK, as it doesn't make sense to have a
> rpmfusion
> key installed on an ubuntu machine.
>
> I'm looking for radical ideas, as well as HIG suggestions. Thanks.

Yeah pretty gross.

Firstly, this dialog should never - ever - appear when installing updates from the update viewer.  No excuses.  Updates should not appear in the list unless they are trusted.

So, I'm assuming that this dialog appears when a user asks to install a new application that is untrusted.

Before getting into a better approach here are some comments on the way you've done it so far:
  * Do not use a Cancel / Yes button set.  This is basically a broken version of the no/yes dialog.  However, the problem is that no/yes dialogs are almost never what you want to use.  They depend too much on comprehension of the "sense" of the question.  Better to use something like "Do not trust" "Trust" (just as an example).  In fact, your dialog is especially bad because it asks two different questions.

  * The colon separated tabular data is almost never what you want to see in a UI.

  * Seriously, stop using the term "package".

  * The primary text (question) doesn't really make sense.  It is also inconsistent with the information provided.  It mentions "packages" and there is only one piece of software that comes from a source that is untrusted.

  * The second question doesn't make any sense either.  "Do you recognise the user..."  Huh?

  * There is no need for a help button here.  You should explain what the hell this dialog is for - directly in the dialog.

Vista shows something like this:
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/fujitsu_unsigned_driver.png

See the attached screenshots of what Firefox 3.1beta displays in response to an untrusted site.

Something like those would be a lot better.

Jon