[packagekit] APT-RPM (smart)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Apr 22 08:45:39 PDT 2009

Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> APT-RPM is not API compatible with Debian APT. Most likely the smart
> backend would be a better choice on these distros but I cannot comment
> on its state.

The smart backend should be functional, but has a few shortcomings...

- smart doesn't have a distribution attached, so no GetDistroUpgrades
   (and no Visible or Supported or similar distro distinctions either)

- the "cold" cache load takes ages, but is done every time it starts
   (the regular Smart interface only does this when starting the app)

- only installed packages have file lists, not uninstalled packages
   (which means that it can't be used to get icons/translations/etc)

- package dependencies might not include codecs/fonts/firmware/etc
   (depends on the package backend, it does search all the provides)

- signature installation support has not been included upstream yet
   (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/245643)

- update errata detail support has not been included upstream yet
   (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/253902)

- pack installation support has not been included upstream yet
   (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/263756)

- license field support has not been included upstream yet
   (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/254150)

- collections support has not been included upstream yet
   (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/244969)

- changelog support has not been included upstream yet
   (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/245338)

Other than that, it should work for rpm/deb/slack as far as I know.

--anders