[packagekit] APT-RPM (smart)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Apr 23 00:02:23 PDT 2009

Viper550 wrote:

>> The smart backend should be functional, but has a few shortcomings...
[...]
>> Other than that, it should work for rpm/deb/slack as far as I know.

> We cannot use Smart. We internally decided long ago that major
> system components may not depend on interpreters. Unfortunately, we
> cannot allow this because it is partially python based. Although
> Smart can run on our distro (heck, installed it myself earlier,
> runs better than APT-RPM for sure), we can't make it the default.

It is *entirely* python-based, just that some modules are compiled
(for speed).

Then again the "apt" backend is also in python, even though there is
a new
"aptcc" backend now (in c++). And of course yum is also written in
python.

But you probably want to stick with apt-rpm then, and write a PK
backend for it.

Most likely one could make an aptcc-rpm backend derivative - just
like one
could make an apt-rpm derivative, or port (of apt), in the first place ?

And like you discovered, you can still run Smart in addition to APT-RPM.
Just need to upgrade that old 0.50 version in your distro, to 1.2... ;-)

--anders