[packagekit] APT backend: search-file

Sebastian Heinlein sebi at glatzor.de
Wed Aug 19 23:15:36 PDT 2009

Am Montag, den 17.08.2009, 17:46 +0200 schrieb Matthias Klumpp:

> Debian has the tool "apt-file" which searches for files in not installed
> packages. It downloads extra information from the net on the first run, but
> the it is able to search for all files on the system.
> Would it be possible to include this function? Or is there an function to
> request if the backend supports searching for not installed packages?
> Sorry for asking this question, maybe it was discussed to exclude
> everything which downloads extra-information, but it would be nice if I
> could use this functionality on APT too.

Hello,

apt-file downloads all Content files which are quite large (about 15
Mbyte) and performs a local search. AFAIK on Ubuntu the situation is
even worse, since there is no mechanism to only fetch the diffs.

So I don't want to force the user to download all this data by default.
An alternative would be to make use of apt-file if it is installed, but
I don't have got the time to work on this in the near future.
Nevertheless I would accept patches and could mentor the implementation.

Cheers,

Sebastian