[packagekit] Triggering EULA dialog?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Feb 6 03:23:38 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess it's pretty impossible for a company to enforce a EULA when:
>
> * You could write a front-end tool to ignore the EULA metadata
> * You can just extract the package file without running the scripts

True, to some extent, it's all smoke and mirrors.

>From a legal point of view, what are you actually trying to achieve?

I'm trying to identify best practices for running an ISV repo
of LSB-ish packages.  The repo in question is the one described at
http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/
It would be nice if there were a Repo Metadata For Dummies manual
that covered how to properly run repos for all popular distros
(or maybe at least all the ones that use Packagekit as their front end).

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how best to package Chrome,
and am mulling over how updates (of both the package and a user's
plugins) will work.
- Dan