[packagekit] Conary backend improvement Package Browsing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:20:34 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 07:05 -0600, zodman wrote:
> For each package on foresight repository have a metadata this metadata
> can be or not Empty.

Right.

> The Metadata its fetch from desktop files so the apps/packages have
>
> {'bibliography': None,
>   'url': None,
> 'notes': None,
> 'crypto': None,
> 'licenses': None,
>   'shortDesc': None,
> 'longDesc': None,
>   'categories': []} # categories its  a list of category entry
> 		    #on desktopfile

Looks quite similar to the fedora data.

> I have a questions:
>
> pkcon search details [data]
>
> on what part of metadata search ?? shortDesc, longDesc  ?? or shortDesc,
> longDesc and Categories ??

I'm guessing shortDesc is the summary, and longDesc is the description.

See
http://www.packagekit.org/gtk-doc/Transaction.html#Transaction.SearchDetails -- where it says:

This should search as much data as possible, including, if possible repo
names, package summaries, descriptions and URLs.

> Where i seen the definition of Group ?¿

A group is an enumerated entry from one of the PkGroupEnum entries. You
should probably aim to push certain categories into one group, so for
instance in fedora (backends/yum/yumComps.py) you get a bit hash table
that needs to be kept updated.

You should aim to show less than about 15 groups to the user, and
packages can live in more than one group. The group view is a simple
view.

> Where i seen the definition of Categorie ?¿
> is Group == Category entry ?

A category is a distro-supplied group. In fedora this is a comps group,
but it's basically something that the distro / metadata can define.
Categories can be nested and have optional icons. You can have as many
categories as you like. This is when the user is using an advanced group
view.

> packagekit/enums.py haves GROUP_*
> this equals of  main categorie list from freedesktop[1] ???

There's no standard to the groups, just names we seem to agree on
between distros. You can add a few more if you think it's needed, but
groups are meant to be simple and abstract "Programming" rather than
"Python Programming"  so think carefully before you want to add loads.

> pkcon search group [data]
>
> Get all packages what contains on data ?¿

Data can match the group name, or the category name. In fedora I think
all the categories have a prefix (IIRC) and so you can use this to
populate a package view when the user clicks on a simple list of groups,
or an advanced tree of categories.

I hope that explains things a little, yell if it's still unclear.