[packagekit] Regarding rollbacks

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 02:09:08 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 00:12 +0530, Ashwini Dhiman wrote:
> As I found mentioned in the TODO list, there still is some work to be
> done for rollbacks. I would surely like to help in the matter, though
> I have some queries.

Cool.

> What is the concept of a rollback in Packagekit?

A roolback is when you return the whole machine to the state it was in
some time before, ignoring user data and documents. I think the only
backend that does rollbacks on it's own is conary.

> What is to be added/modified(frontend/backend) for rollbacks to be
> implemented in Packagekit?

Well, the frontend pieces are all in place, if a backend advertises it
can do a rollback, then a new button appears in the log viewer that
allow the user to roll back to the old system state.

All it would take is for support in the backends to be added, so for
instance in conary this would be easy (just hook up the rollback method
to the internal API) but for backend like yum rather harder.

Do you intend working on the conary backend, or another one?