[packagekit] Regarding rollbacks

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:14:25 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 16:25 +0530, Ashwini Dhiman wrote:
> > A roolback is when you return the whole machine to the state it was in
> > some time before, ignoring user data and documents. I think the only
> > backend that does rollbacks on it's own is conary.
>
> Sounds very much similar to rollbacks in transaction processing in databases.

Yes, exactly like that.

> > All it would take is for support in the backends to be added, so for
> > instance in conary this would be easy (just hook up the rollback method
> > to the internal API) but for backend like yum rather harder.
> >
> > Do you intend working on the conary backend, or another one?
>
> If this is the case then I would like to start by working on conary
> and switch to yum later. Working on conary would probably give the
> idea of how should it be implemented for yum.

Well, there might be a little bit of daemon and UI work to do, as no
backend currently supports rollback, not even conary :(

I do think you could get the conary integration work completed in a few
hours tho. I've not looked into it in too much detail.

It would be a good idea to email the rpm and yum developers about how to
do this on a fedora system, if nothing else for ideas and feedback.

Richard/