[packagekit] Regarding rollbacks

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 02:23:07 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 10:03 +0100, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> >> What is the concept of a rollback in Packagekit?
> >
> > A roolback is when you return the whole machine to the state it was in
> > some time before, ignoring user data and documents. I think the only
> > backend that does rollbacks on it's own is conary.
>
> Is that possible? To implement it at either backend or packagekit level?

Totally backend specific -- this is way too low level for PackageKit to
get involved.

> I am thinking also in history. AFAIK packagekit has its own "history",
> but I would like to implement history in ZYpp using ZYpp's own API (as
> all the other tools history end there).

I do agree there needs to be some unification of the history here --
except the low level tool is missing three pieces of important data:

1. What tool invoked the method
2. What user is doing the action
3. _Why_ the action is being done

For instance, it's easy to examine the yum log and find out that
gstreamer-plugins-good was installed yesterday, but you have to use
PackageKit log viewer to discover that it was installed by "totem" by
user "ania".