[packagekit] A new update viewer

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 28 00:22:55 PST 2009

Am Freitag, den 27.02.2009, 18:29 +0100 schrieb Adrien Bustany:
> Very nice, just a small remark : to my eyes, the "system restart
> required" pixmap is a bit misleading, one could think it would prevent
> the update from being installed...

The user interface is quite busy and a lot of widgets pop up and
disappear. You should try to use a screen reader and most likely you
will get a bad result by using this approach.

Please don't exchange buttons. Not every user has good mouse skills and
can perform clicks reliable.

You should not put the close and install button next to each other. The
first one affects the whole application and the other one only the
updates. The buttons should be next to the modifying object.

I would propose to look at update-manager of Ubuntu/Debian since we
already invested usability work.

It is also recommended to add an explanation about updates to the
dialog. Many users have got a bad feeling about touching their system.

Cheers,

Sebastian