[packagekit] PackageKit prerequisites

Shishir Goyal crazyontheedge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 08:26:33 PST 2009

> From: "Ashwini Dhiman" <ashwinidhiman at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] Re: Fwd: [packagekit] Project:
>        feasibility     study :)

> I am interested in contributing to the PackageKit project. I would
> just like to know if there is any prerequisite knowledge required of
> any field to contribute actively to this project. Also, this semester
> we have to work on our Major Project and I find this a good
> opportunity to combine both the factors of contributing to open source
> community and a good major project.
>
> Regards,
> Ashwini

Hello,

As far as the prerequisites for contributing actively to PackageKit
are concerned,

* [http://packagekit.org/] should give you a nice feel what PackageKit is.

* Download the latest source code of PK from [git clone
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/packagekit/PackageKit] and try
checking out what goes on in there.

* [http://www.packagekit.org/gtk-doc/index.html] should give you a
nice idea what goes inside PackageKit.

* In case of any doubt, feel free to ask questions on IRC
channel(#packagekit on Freenode) and the mailing list. PackageKit
dudes are really very helpful.

[http://packagekit.org/pk-help.html] answers your question very
precisely though . :-)

Regards,