[packagekit] PackageKit tries to remove a bazillion dependencies

Olivier Lefevre lefevrol at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 11 06:14:55 PDT 2009

After an upgrade I ended up with two versions of the MySQL
client libraries and I wanted to remove the older one.
PackgeKit then informed me that "The following packages
will also be removed for dependencies". The list was almost
a hundred items long and included things like MySQL server
itself! Either this message is badly worded or PackageKit
is seriously buggy. Which is it? It doesn't even give you
the option of pruning the list of dependencies to be removed.
At the moment I have no confidence that I can use PakckageKit
without breaking my system.

Thanks,

-- O.L.