[packagekit] Removing packages when updating: a possible solution

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jul 21 07:07:23 PDT 2009

> Why not using INFO_REMOVING for packages ? It will be used in this
> case, when we need to remove a package. It's probably a bit weird
> because a package with INFO_REMOVING could also have INFO_INSTALLED
> but it seems the clearer way to me to solve this issue.
> We could even hope it will not break backward compatibility too much
> as maybe clients are setting a value (install/available) as default
> and other one otherwise. Even maybe, the package will be ignored (i
> honestly don't know how clients are using the api so it's pure
> speculation)

Of course Removing could be used but it's much uglier imo, since removing
is only used when we have the transaction running to inform the current
state. "Package foo is removing".
I'm no english speaker but removing isn't right in my point of view.

Also, recursive = true, is ONLY used before install/remove,
no other place of both gpk or kpk use it.
Yes, I'm "killing" the filters when recursive is set
actually they will still work but "INSTALLED" will be
added if recursive ius true...
There is no use case where recursive is needed with filters.
Why someone would want the newest recursive deps? or
the gui recursive deps?
In the API docs I'll try to make it as clear as possible if
a filter is set, Maybe we could add an
ERROR_FILTER_SET_WITH_RECURSIVE.

>You are adding confusion because
> recursive=True now means installing/removing.

But it means, no other piece of code uses that,
and I don't see any use cases where someone will want it.

What do you think now?

Thanks,
Daniel.