[packagekit] New signal for configuration file update

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:42:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

For Gentoo/portage backend, I need a new signal about updated configuration
file. Indeed, Gentoo/portage has a protected file management which are
(mostly/only) configuration files.
If a package is updated and tries to overwrite a configuration file, the new
file is copied and the old one is kept until the user explicitly chooses to
update the file.

So, I need a new signal to inform about these updates. It's actually really
simple. Here is a brief idea in python:
def configuration_file_updated(self, path):
  print "configuration-file-updated\t%s" % path

It's quite easy because we only need the path.

Actually, this signal is mostly to say a configuration file has been updated
because clients API needs to know that. The path is much more for user
information because, (at least for portage) distro tools will check for updated
files by themselves.
Clients API usage of this signal will be for another thread.

Are the information in this signal enough for Debian backend ?
Does anyone thinks it could be done in a best way ?

Richard, will you want to see the patch before I commit ?

Thanks,
Mounir