[packagekit] New signal for configuration file update

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 08:49:46 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Daniel
Nicoletti<dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Hi, this was the next step I'd like to do
> when simulate is done, we also have this behavior in Debian,
> but we prefer to keep the old one installed.

In Gentoo too, old one is kept until the user launch a tool and take a
decision (update, keep, merge).

> Now that this is being handled by someone else let me tell
> what I was thinking...
>
> confFilesUpdated(USER_KEPT | UPDATED, file list)
> updateConfFiles(KEEP_USER | UPDATE, fileList);
>
> Then we can show the user an UI like this:
>
> The following configuration files "were updated" |
> "have a new version":
> FILES:                                       "Keep current" | "Update"
> /etc/apache2/apache.conf       [   ]
> /etc/squid/squid.conf                [   ]
>
> * You distribution has already chosen the safest option,
> if don't know why they appeared here, just leave this
> dialog as it is.
>
> [ Change ] [ Cancel ]

I think it makes the feature more complicated. The UI shouldn't be
involved. It should be up to distro tools because there will be a lot
of distro-related things. For example, you propose "keep/update" but
in Gentoo, we also have a 'merge' option which is adding a lot of
issues like merging conflicts.
So, as said Richard, the signal should suggest a tool.

> The dialog will be running as the user, and won't be able to merge xorg.conf.

Why not adding a new policykit authorization for updating conf files ?