[packagekit] KPackageKit 0.4.1 reçeased

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:59:23 PDT 2009

2009/6/5 Daniel Nicoletti <dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br>:
> After almost 6 months, 0.4.1 is out

Great news!

> Also i need to explain why we break pk-qt
> API, the problem was with the enums
> which started to conflict with each other, so
> we HAD to do something, and to fix that
> we changed lots of things
> (as we had to change, let's change some others parts :P)
> that's why it did not work..

If you break pk-qt in an incompatible way (which is fine, I've done it
lots in the past with -glib, and it sounds like you had good reasons),
then we need to bump the libtool major version in LT_CURRENT (look in
configure.ac for a description). This ensures that we can't try
running an incompatible lib with incompatible client. Try to avoid
incrementing LT_CURRENT where-ever possible (and only do it once per
release cycle), as it makes the packagers job more tricky. It's also
important to update LT_REVISION when bugs are fixed in the library
(again, only once per cycle). As we have two libraries with one
versioning scheme, we just have to communicate a little more for the
next release, which for this release was probably my fault.

> hmm BTW Happy birthday to KPackageKit and PackageKit-qt :D both have now for about 1 year..

Happy birthday indeed. You do know that you can put the fact that you
have millions of users for your software on your CV, right?