[packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"

Petteri Räty betelgeuse at gentoo.org
Sat Jun 13 08:53:25 PDT 2009

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Petteri Räty wrote:
>> Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>>> To count into the same bucket we use global identifiers for the
>>> "products" that fall out of a package.  Gentoo package "dev-util/git"
>>> can produce product "cpe://a:git:git", Debian's "git-core" can, too.
>>> That string before is a CPE URI [1], a concept close to package naming
>>> in Java.  This "intermediate language" allows us to relate package names
>>> from distro X with those of distro Y and answer various questions from
>>> that data.
>>>
>>> To do such mapping we need code (or a "service") that does the mapping
>>> for us and base of collected data that the service can operate on.  Both
>>> of these is project "PackageMap"
>> Instead of manually populating a database wouldn't it make more sense to
>> parse this information from package metadata.xml?
>
> Which information exactly?  Please elaborate on that.
>
> Sebastian

I mean making metadata.xml the authoritative source for mapping CPE to
Gentoo packages. I don't want to see the situation when adding new
packages to the tree would need some mapping being done in an external
web service. We should of course try to provide as much automation as
possible for creating the value for metadata.xml.

Regards,
Petteri