[packagekit] PackageKit Apt support

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 15 10:38:13 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 10:28 -0700, Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> >The idea of simulate() to fix this worries me, because it implies that
> >any two runs of the transaction at any points in time must always do the
> >same thing ... which looks like a giant race condition to me, and is
> >bound to fail eventually (although much less so than PK guessing what
> >the transaction will be).
>
> Yes, but again this has the same problem as in get_depends,
> what if while looking at a package deps the cache is updated
> and others packages are also installed as new deps?

 I'm not sure I understand ... what I suggested is that PK needs to do
what the native tools do. Which for both yum and apt (AIUI) is:

. lock package manager
. create transaction
. add/remove, in transaction
. resolve transaction
. user notify
. user confirm/deny, resulting in either:
	. commit transaction
	. cancel transaction
. unlock package manager

...AIUI this solves your problem, but adding a simulate doesn't (at
least for the race condition reason).

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
"I'd just like to see a realistic approach to updates via
 packages." -- Les Mikesell