[packagekit] Session idle time, frequency_refresh_cache and frequency_get_updates

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 00:49:17 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Patryk Zawadzki<patrys at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> 1) Session idle time signaling has been pulled from gnome-screensaver
> so currently PK will never refresh the cache (claiming the session is
> still active when it's been showing the screensaver for three days in
> a row).

Oops. I've added some code to git master to connect to gnome-session
instead, could you please test with that please. If that works I'll do
a 2.27.3 release.

> 2) frequency_refresh_cache and frequency_get_updates seem to be doing
> the same thing. At least judging from their descriptions. The first
> one can only be set to "daily" when I really want to use "hourly" for
> updating the repository, the second can be set to "hourly" but it
> won't update the cache so it always returns the same results it did at
> last cache refresh. Does it really make any sense to update the cache
> once per day then query it 24 times looking for changes?

Well, some backends can download a small amount of metadata during
GetUpdates to make sure the results are up to date, like the yum
backend. When we do RefreshCache on yum we download all the file lists
and refresh and rebuild databases, and so it takes much longer with
much more CPU time.

If the backend only gets new update metadata on RefreshCache, then its
perfectly fine to set the get updates timeout to once per day,
although I think it makes sense to allow GetUpdates to get the latest
lists if at all possible.