[packagekit] New GUI

Valeriy Lyasotskiy onestep at irc.lg.ua
Thu Jun 18 05:36:42 PDT 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:07:25 +0200
Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:

> As i'm working on portage backend, I have gnome-packagekit installed
> (with xfce) and as I launch it mostly with gpk-application, I was a
> bit surprised when I realised there was a specific application for
> updates, configuration, etc.
> At least have them available from the toolbar or something would be interesting.

Let me not to agree. For example, if I were a typical user, when I want to just update my system, I don't need GUI for installing packages or managing available repositories. I just want to review the list and click "Update" (BTW, I miss "Refresh cache" button in update viewer). So a different application is good there.

>From the other point of view, if I'm using gpk-application, a button "Mark all upgrades", like in Synaptic, will be useful, I think. Regarding "Software Sources" window - as it can be called from gpk-application and as a standalone application, I think it's fine.

And I like the idea of toolbar. And context menus in package list will also be handy. Really. :)

--
Regards,
Valeriy Lyasotskiy <onestep at irc.lg.ua>