[packagekit] search-file pattern search

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 02:57:56 PDT 2009

Hi,

As I'm working on unifying portage backend with other backend to fully
finalize basic functions I would like to discuss about search-file way
of using the key parameter.

Now, according to yum backend and specifications, key represents the
entire path. So, if I want to search which package own myfile.foo i
will have to enter /bar/myfile.foo. A bit hard as I only want to
search for a file, not a path. We have room to put a lot of results so
even if the file is present in various packages, it will not be so
hard to see which one was the good candidate.

So, I would like to use the key in the search-file for portage backend
as the entire file name without the path and I would like to know if
this way of doing can be generalized or, at least, officialy accepted.
I don't want portage backend to be the only one using search-file like
this but I really think it's much more user-friendly. Maybe we could
even accept the two ways of doing to be retro-compatible.

To summarize, I would like `search-file yum.conf` to return yum (atm,
I have to type `search-file /etc/yum.conf`).

Thanks,
Mounir