[packagekit] search-file pattern search

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:06:36 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Mounir Lamouri<mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Richard Hughes<hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Mounir Lamouri<mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm a bit lost in the doc/ directory.
>>> Where should I add the new specification description ?
>>
>> It's src/org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction.xml -- these
>> introspection documents get parsed when we generate the docs.
>
> Then, the patched documentation is here :
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~volkmar/packagekit-searchfile-specification.patch

What about something like this:

A filename or fully qualified path and filename on the system.

If the search term begins with a <doc:tt>/</doc:tt> it will be assumed
the entire path has been given and only packages that contain this
exact path and filename will be returned.

If the search term does not start with <doc:tt>/</doc:tt> then it
should be treated as a single filename, which can be in any directory.

(be careful the lines are not too long in the markup)

> I was thinking we could add something in pk-transaction.c to pop an
> error if search is not valid. In other words, as we assume
> "/something" is an entire path and "[^/]something" is a filename. And
> as far as I know, '/' is not accepted in UNIX filename, it could be
> helpfull  for backends (and user if error message is clear enough) if
> an error is prompted if the key doesn't begin with '/' but contains a

Yes, makes sense.

> If foo/bar can't produce any result, better to tell the user it's
> invalid than tell the user nothing has been found.
> Another time, i'm ok to write the needed patch if the feature is accepted.

Yes, sounds fine. You'll need to create another error enum, something
like INVALID_SEARCH_PATH.