[packagekit] A new update viewer

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Mar 3 05:11:37 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 12:57 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 12:26 +0000, James Westby wrote:
> > > Yes, it's because package systems suck. Most do this:
> >
> > Well yes, but you didn't really address my concerns.
>
> My point was, because we do dddiiiccc we have to show the state in the
> package -- if we just show a percentage bar then it'll just get to 100%,
> sit there a few minutes, and go back to zero and then 100% again. We
> know what it's doing, but I'm sure the users wont.

Yes, but it doesn't help to give a clue as to how long it is actually
going to to take, is there one more stage, or 100? The icons don't help
you to understand that, certainly for the first update.

Would it be possible to number the stages instead?

> >   * "Vendor: Bugfix release for gtkhtml" seems wrong to me, what
> >     does it link to?
>
> It's the vendor bugzilla. I'm thinking of adding this to the update
> text, and removing this from here, something like:
>
> For more information about this update please visit:
> * Bugfix release for gtkhtml
>
> With the "Bugfix release for gtkhtml" a hyperlink to the bugzilla bug.
>
> And also do the same for CVE links:
>
> For more information about this security update please visit:
> * CVE1321231

Ah, so it's the bug title? Calling that "Vendor" certainly seems to be
wrong to me.

I think your proposed approach would work well.

Thanks,

James