[packagekit] Downloading items to the native cache

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 07:39:20 PST 2009

One idea I think we should play with for the new update viewer is the
potential to download updates and not install them. For instance, you
might only want to install the newest gtk unstable when you shut down
your computer, or at log out time. Or you may just want to use the high
speed university network, and install the updates on-by-one at home.

For this to work we need to download the updates to the native package
manager cache using DownloadPackages(). See
http://www.packagekit.org/gtk-doc/introduction-ideas-transactions.html#introduction-ideas-transactions-download for the transaction dance we do at the moment.

For this to work, we need to change the specification slightly so that
when we do DownloadPackages(), we download the package to the system
wide package manager cache (like normal) and _copy_ rather than _move_
the file into the daemon specified temporary directory. This might be
what some of the backends do anyway.

I don't see any security implications of this, but I would welcome other
peoples views and comments. Patch attached for review.

Thanks,