[packagekit] Moving the refresh stats out of the update viewer

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 07:51:55 PST 2009

> Actually, looking at the screenshot again, it is a bit unclear what
> "cache refresh" vs "update" means there.

Cache refresh is one of those icky implementation details you wish you
didn't have to care about. I'm sure it means nothing to my girlfriend.

Maybe calling it something else might be more palatable? For reference,
a cache refresh is done once a week, and does things like updates all
the metadata (not just the update lists), rebuilds the application
desktop cache and scans any new desktop files that were missed.

For most people, the weekly idle refresh might be good enough, but then
there's always someone who adds a package using rpm and then wonders why
it's not got the correct application icon in Add / Remove programs.
Given we can tell this person to just do "pkcon refresh" on the command
line, maybe no button is good enough.

I'm not sure.