[packagekit] pk network

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun May 10 05:34:22 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Zhu, Peter J <peter.j.zhu at intel.com> wrote:
> 1. What is pk-network-nm-dummy.c for?  From pk-network.c, if PK_BUILD_NETWORKMANAGER is NOT defined, which is the only way that dummy module enters into function, use_nm would be false which would render dummy module useless at all

Well, PackageKit supports four scenarios:

1. NetworkManager is not available at built time
2. NetworkManager is available at built time, but not at runtime
3. NetworkManager is available at build and runtime
3. NetworkManager is available at build and runtime, but disabled in
the config file

So, PkNetwork acts as a proxy to either get the network state
information from either NetworkManager (if it allowed, and NM is
running), or to fall back to UNIX network detection. If we compile
without NetworkManager, then the PkNetworkNmDummy class is used so we
don't have to sprinkle #ifdef's in the common PkNetwork code.

> 2. it seems that no state-changed siganle emitted for pk-network-unix module

Sure, we should set up an inotify watch on that file. I'll have a look
at this later if nobody else submits patches.