[packagekit] How to manage multiple CDs packages ?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu May 28 12:57:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Mounir Lamouri
<mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if packagekit can manage CD-ROM changes when installing a
> package. As packagekit rule is against interaction when installing, I was
> thinking it was out of question.

Well, the intended operation is something like this:

InstallPackage(foo)
::status(depsolving)
copy file1, file2, file3 from media
::media-change-required
::error

and then the client handles the new media request, and then re-queues
the request as a new transaction:

InstallPackage(foo)
::status(depsolving)
copy file4, file5, file6 from media
::status(installing)
::finished

So we actually deal with two transactions, and when we're waiting for
the user to find the correct disk and click ok, we're not blocking the
daemon so other things can happen. This is very similar to how the
trusted "wiggle" happens and is described in more detail here:
http://www.packagekit.org/gtk-doc/introduction-ideas-transactions.html#introduction-ideas-transactions-trusted

> However, I've seen packagekit provides media_change_required python function but
> I didn't see a use of this function so I would like to know if packagekit can
> really manage that at the moment, if it is for a next version or if it's not
> related to the topic.

It should work with git versions of PackageKit and gnome-packagekit already.