[packagekit] autotools and packagekit-glib and packagekit-qt

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Tue Nov 3 06:52:37 PST 2009

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Daniel Nicoletti
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > It's not a new problem that pacakgekit-glib
> > and package-qt have the same .so version,
> > when one breaks API or ABI changing their values
> > changes both libs
>
> IIRC, we have speaked about that on IRC.
> It's doable but it's probably better to have a specific repository (or
> at least tarball) for packagekit-qt in this case. It will avoid any
> confusion.
we already had a separate repository but it's not the best thing
imo, although it still doesn't get the same love as -glib
(mainly the enums are normally not updated by commiters)
I guess it helps a bit.

> > , additionally libapt-pkg
> > (and probably libzypp) are liked to both
> > client libs which shouldn't happen.
>
> If it should be linked to only one it's probably easy to fix.
libapt-pkg should be linked just to aptcc backend
as libzypp to zypp backend, I think the zypp
backend has the same problem since what i wrote
in autotools script for aptcc is pretty much the same
it is for zypp.

> > I've a talk with Richard and we don't have
> > much skills with autotools, I proposed a change
> > to cmake since imo it's a bit simpler to do this
> > there, but it's not a trivial change.
>
> Moving to cmake for this is surely not the best idea. The main idea of
> cmake is to be OS-independant. Do we need PackageKit on Windows or
> MacOS ? :)
Yup, not the best idea but it's the tool i know
which is easy to fix this.

> > So if you
> > are skilled with autotools and knows how to
> > fix these issues please speak up.
>
> I can try to help on this if I found some time. Is it urgent ?
Well it's not urgent since pk-qt already broke abi
and it's not likely to happen so soon. But important it is.

I just don't get the separate tarball idea, can't it just
do the linking separated?

anyway if you can work on this it will be great :D

Many thanks,
Daniel.