[packagekit] Implementation of searchFiles in APT backend

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Wed Oct 28 05:51:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:38:22 +0000, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2009/10/25 Matthias Klumpp <matthias at nlinux.org>:
>> It may be important that (on this early stage) I call searchFiles one
>> after
>> one. If i supmit the request parallel I'm sure this will be a lot
faster.

> I've switched gnome-packagekit to use the OR search in SearchFiles by
> default, so you can do:
>
> SearchFiles("/usr/bin/dave&/usr/sbin/dave&/bin/dave")
>
> and it treats it like a giant OR search. In the future SearchFiles()
> will take a string array (and not a string) which will remove the need
> to use a silly separator value.
>
> Not all the backends support '&' as it's newly introduced and optional
> in 0.5.x, so caveat emptor.
>
> Richard.
The problem by using this is that if I search for packages which contain a
specific library there may be more than one package which contains this
lib. E.g. on amd64 systems the library "libXext.so.6" is in "ia32-libs" and
"libxext6". If I use OR search, I cannot help choosing the right package
for one library. (For every lib specific criteria have to apply to mark the
package as "should-be-installed") Also I need to know, which library or
file is not provided by a package.
(This is essential to make binaries work on as much Linux distributions as
possible)
Regards
  Matthias Klumpp