[packagekit] Packagekit and Ubuntu

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 00:39:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Jean Hubbard <jean_p57 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> " Thanks for your bugreport.
> We would love to use packagekit, but it does not support debconf or conffile
> prompting. We attempted to contribute those missing features and
> unfortunately they were not accepted on the ground that a packagekit
> transaction can not be interrupted (for something like debconf or conffile
> handling). This is a important feature for us and without it, e.g. sun-java
> packages do not install."
>

> So what i would like to know is, if this may may be possible in a future
> release of PK or what?

Hi Jean,

I also ask for this feature for Gentoo and if I recall correctly, we
got to the point it has to be specified and implemented. debconf is
about updating configuration file when updating an application I
suppose. Gentoo has the same behavior and Richard told me it will be
appreciated for Fedora too. The real issue is how to manage that
correctly for packagekit end-user. Do we suggest merging or keeping
last file ? Should it depend to the configuration file (ie. the
backend tells what should be the default action) ?
If we work on this packagekit side it can be managed at the end of the
transaction.

That's not a small task but it could be the moment to move to a consensus ?

--
Mounir