[packagekit] Packagekit and Ubuntu

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:16:12 PDT 2009

2009/9/15 Matthias Klumpp <matthias at nlinux.org>:
> True. I also recognized this problem on Debian/Ubuntu with pacakges which
> depend on Java-Runtime.
> It would be great if there's a solution for this issue.

So what does java-runtime actually need to do, just show a EULA?
Surely you know about this before you've installed the package?

> P.S: I think the Ubuntu project has a good reason not to use PackageKit for
> SoftwareStore with this.

I'm not sure I agree, as all it would take to make installing java on
Ubuntu a possibility would be to hook up the Eula callbacks.

> Canonical has only a few employees who focus on
> Ubuntu development and have less time to participate in upstream projects.

My personal view is that Canonical needs to recognise that Ubuntu is
made from Linux, not the other way around. But that's way off topic
for this mailing list.