[packagekit] Packagekit and Ubuntu

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Wed Sep 16 06:11:45 PDT 2009

> Well, can you detect it's a EULA when it's been installed? Could you
> install the package, and just defer the processing of the postinst
> scripts for the "second" stage of the install? I appreciate that the
> package would be half-installed at this stage, but the fact that
> you're asking the pre-install EULA question /after/ you've installed
> the package sounds legally dubious anyway.
No, at the  moment it's impossible to find out this is an EULA agreement,
also you are confusing problems here.
The problem is that some packages requires that debconf is run to do
something (in java case is an EULA agreement, but the mysql
maintainers could require you to input you root password).
Also Debian is not doing the wrong thing about EULA, you can download
Java from many source but just right before you install it asks you
to agree, the package is not installed if you do not agree. Most softwares do
this way, just because we can't find out that _before_ downloading doesn't
mean it's wrong.

As I already said in this list I had 3 problems with apt vs packagekit,
and 1 of them is fixed (simulate-* solves it), now I'm working on
doing package install to fix the other two.

> > Oh, it's not only an Ubuntu thing. PackageKit isn't currently
> > available in Debian. There are strong feelings against PackageKit
> > in the Debian community - PackageKit per se would violate the
> > Debian Policy.
>
> Because of the lack of a VTE when installing or for more political reasons?

IMO this is because we don't like to put stuff that don't really work,
It's not PackageKit fault, it's the lack of man power to code and do
a backend that can install any kind of package, it should work at least like
apt-get install does, apt-get/aptitude sometimes fails to install stuff,
and their messages could be given to the user to handle the conflict.

I'm writing KPackageKit because I want it running on Debian, and I'm
also writing aptcc because it's the way I can make this faster, aptcc
is almost able to handle all these problems, I just need time to finish
it, so instead of blaming each other, we should think on how to best
fix these issues.

Daniel.