[packagekit] Packagekit and Ubuntu

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:33:49 PDT 2009

2009/9/16 Matthias Klumpp <matthias at nlinux.org>:
> A lot more important is the problem how to handle other dialogs, what
> Daniel Nicoletti mentioned before. E.g. MySQL needs a root-password while
> installing and some other packages ask the user to restart some system
> daemons. (And if modified a configfile should be overwritten with a newer
> version there's also a user request)

You've got to ask yourself, how many end users are going to be
installing MySQL using PackageKit GUI tools?

Take a look at these users: http://www.packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html

How many of them are going to know:

1. What a daemon is
2. What the consequences of restarting samba are

> Those questions require immediate action by the user and cannot be stored
> somewhere.

Isn't there a default answer that could be used?

> P.S: It would be great if PackageKit would print the errors thrown by the
> backend in the error-log too. I think this is what Debian maintainers
> criticize about PackageKit.

Sure, we can do that. Which error log are you referring to,
PackageKit.log or the transaction db?