[packagekit] Packagekit and Ubuntu

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Sep 16 09:46:33 PDT 2009

On Wed Sep 16 16:16:37 +0100 2009 Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/9/16 James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net>:
> > What is the "second" stage?
>
> Like Trans2 in
> http://www.packagekit.org/gtk-doc/introduction-ideas-transactions.html#introduct
> ion-ideas-transactions-trusted

I don't think so then, for the reasons given by Sebastian.

  [ What does this mean?

      "Well, the only_trusted PolicyKit role can be saved in the gnome-keyring,
      or could be set to the users password as the GPG key is already
      only_trusted by the user.
  ]

> > We could change things such that we knew up front that a EULA would be
> > needed, but it would be a fair chunk of work. Where do you actually
> > store the EULAs? Or are they in the package and you download it, discover
> > them and restart at that point?
>
> Well, the dummy backend does this, but I would imagine that other
> backends would download the package file, decompress it and then abort
> and ask for the eula to be agreed to.

That would be possible. As I said, it's a fair amount of work, and may involve
a multi-year wait until packagekit could use it, depending on what cases
packagekit would want to handle.

Thanks,

James