[packagekit] gpk-install-mime-type - order of items listed ?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 03:49:46 PDT 2010

On 7 April 2010 00:35, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> And any specific package might still end up being the first in the list ! I
> agree with the potential of the political statement.

Sure. I'm willing to choose a default, as long as it's not hardcoded
in the daemon and all processed by the frontends.

> Here is a small plan:
> 1. Could we provide "column sorter" buttons/UI so that we can sort by either
> the packagename or summary (what about most recently added to the
> repository, and most recently updated, longest time in repository ;-) ) ?

I think for the first step we just sort by a heuristic, where if
you're on GNOME, then gnome-*, gtk*, g* packages get listed first, and
similar for XFCE and KDE.

> 2. We highlight a default selection only when there is just 1x entry
> returned. Make the user read at least a little, and make a decision.

Makes sense.

> 3. Once an item is selected, show the full package description (or have
> "show description" button to click), this can help the user make a good
> choice. In this case, I would add to the description the -play capability
> limitations.

Sure, that's easy to do with the new bindings.

> 4. My particular user/bug reporter I think thought that all the packages
> listed in the dialog would be installed. But only one will be. Could we make
> it so that multi-select is possible - eg then in one click they could
> install multiple packages, and then try them out.

Sure, it's possible, but I'm not sure if it's nice UI.

> Actually for the multiple install. Perhaps the helper could install the
> first, and as soon as that is ready, trigger opening in that application,
> while downloading and installing the remainder. When the first application
> is closed (or crashes!) the helper could ask do you want to keep the first
> app you tried installed ? ...

The session interface doesn't have this level of interaction, although
you could easily split the multiple installs into more than one DBus
call.

> Anything past this would need additional "scored" metadata, like most
> installed, most highly rated, most bugs !, most used !. I think a discussion
> in the f-devel past came to conclusion that packages should fight on their
> own merits, rather than be subject to user voting systems, where there is
> always the possibility of fraudulent voting, and also most installed didn't
> really mean anything, since some people just install everything and never
> use it....

Sure, and if an app (e.g. GIMP) is installed by default, then it is
never "downloaded" by end users and therefor "unpopular".