[packagekit] Weird timeout issue in PK zypp backend

Zhu, Peter J peter.j.zhu at intel.com
Wed Apr 14 07:57:55 PDT 2010

Remove a big attachment of pk_backend_zypp and resend

I got a weird timeout issue in PK zypp backend. I'm using PK 0.6.3. I have following weird problem:
1. pkcon install clutter-gtk-doc, successfully 2. pkcon resolve clutter-gtk-doc, werid issue comes !!!
  It reports nothing!!!  The correct behavior should be "Installed clutter-gtk-doc-0.10.4-1.1.i586 Clutter-Gtk API Reference"
  It neither reports "The transaction failed: package-not-found, couldn't find package"
3. pkcon remove clutter-gtk-doc
  It complains "Command failed: This tool couldn't find the installed package: could not find clutter-gtk-doc"
The more weird thing is that it can resolve and remove successfully after some time, for example 15 mins. I do nothing during the period. Please see whole command sequences, corresponding pk_daemon.log with packagekitd --verbose --disable-timeout and pk_backend_zypp in attachments.

One interesting finding is that:
1. pkcon resolve can succeed after about 10 mins after installing in normal use, i.e packagekitd is launched by dbus call,
2. pkcon never succeed after installing if I run packagekitd in advance to get a log until I kill the pk daemon.

I run into same timeout issue with pkcon refresh. Each time I run pkcon refresh, it can do the job successfully, I can even verify this by looking at /var/cache/zypp. But if I search some package, it always reflect old content until some timeout.

Peter