[packagekit] Blocking calls to packagekitd over dbus hanging

Sergio Schvezov sergiusens at ieee.org
Wed Dec 8 04:21:54 PST 2010

Hi there, this is my first writing to this list. I'm a month and a half
in the tech (DBus and PackageKit).

I have been trying to create some sort of package manager using the glib
bindings for DBus, really similar to what is presented on
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-faq.html#session-methods (but using
DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM)

So my problem may be rather more related to DBus than PackageKit itself,
but I'm hoping someone ran into this here to help me out.

My calls generally work for the given transaction ID until out of the
blue my dbus_g_proxy_call just blocks and never returns, it happens on
any random method call for that transaction, be it a Resolve,
InstallPackages, GetProperty, etc.

I tried using both the async and sync DBus methods to the same results.

So make things weirder, at least for me, if I perform an InstallPackages
with pkmon open, and that call is the one that just blocks (could be any
other call too) you'll see through pkmon that the call went through, it
just never returned in the code; that is why my suspicion is more of a
DBus than PackageKit thing.

Anyhow, TIA. Sergio.