[packagekit] Getting the repository a package was installed from

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 05:56:56 PST 2010

I'm suggesting the following optional feature for backends:

Remote package-id:

* hal;0.0.1-1.fc13;i386;fedora

Local package-id:

* hal;0.0.1-1.fc13;i386;installed

[or]

* hal;0.0.1-1.fc13;i386;@fedora

I.e. if the package backend supports getting the "what repo did this
package come from" then it uses @ then the repo name, so that the '@'
signifies installed. The alternative is
"hal;0.0.1-1.fc13;i386;installed:fedora" or
"hal;0.0.1-1.fc13;i386;installed at fedora" which would be exactly the
same, just a few bytes more, and maybe clearer to the implementor. Of
course, this would be optional and we'll still support "installed" for
the foreseeable future.

So, votes please:

1. Just stick with "installed" and add another DBus method to get the
repo it was installed from
2. "installed:fedora"
3. "@fedora"
4. "installed at fedora"

It would also be interesting to know how many backends can get the
"where the package came from" information.

Thanks,