[packagekit] [RFE] Enable packagekit to download updates at leisure and install them during the next reboot

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 04:03:23 PDT 2010

On 22 June 2010 10:39, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, so it looks like we are looking at a script file format for the
> following use cases:
> Any program can dump files in /var/lib/PackageKit/manifests
> red-hat-update-at-boot-time.pk-manifest
> [PackageKit Manifest]
> AtBoot=repo-enable rhel-updates;update
> Fail=ignore
> Success=ignore

Okay, so thinking about things some more, this isn't really going to
work, as we want stuff run by the user to be able to schedule a
command for later. So it might be I want to update firefox when I
log-off or shutdown, as I've got loads of tabs open and really don't
want to be bothered by things now. Users can't drop files in random
directories.

If we want to allow this as the user, we need to add some sort of
access control, a-la PolicyKit. Then it makes sense to do all this as
a method on the daemon interface. Something like this:

ScheduleCommand(s=type, b=persistent, s=command)

where type is boot|shutdown|logout|login, and persistent controls
whether it gets done forever or just done once. I'm not sure about
persistent, as then we also need to provide a way of listing what
commands get done, and enable/disabling them. Maybe we need that
anyway, I'm not sure. Command would be the kind of thing we can send
pkcon, e.g. "update firefox" although it would obviously be processed
inside the engine, and not be registered as a client. Or perhaps it
should, and then it gets added to the transaction log.

Lots of questions. Feedback please.