[packagekit] How do you determine if an update needs a reboot/logout?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 15:31:20 PDT 2010

On 30 July 2010 22:03, enclair <wifienclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sometimes, after an update, PackageKit tells me that a reboot or a logout
> then a login from my X session is required.

Well, if the Fedora metadata says we need to restart we use that. If
packagekitd determines that the binary was replaced, or a library the
binary was linked to was replaced, then that does the appropriate
action depending on the user ID of the process that is affected. It's
a pretty complicated process.