[packagekit] zypper patches + packages ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu May 6 08:26:24 PDT 2010

Hi guys,

	As you perhaps may (or may not) know; currently the 'update' and
'get-updates' methods in the PackageKit zypp backend only return
patches.

	What is a patch ? in zypper terms this is a consistent collection of
packages (to update to).

	Of course, unfortunately, not all users of zypper have the great
process behind the scenes to turn their updates into clean, well
described patches ;-) consequently they appear to see no updates, even
though there are many packages available.

	I was hoping to fix this; my initial thought is - to list only packages
that are not associated with a patch as updates. Hopefully this gives us
the best of both worlds.

	Does that make some sense ? or are there vicious hidden pit-falls
lurking for me :-)

	Thanks,

		Michael (who is hacking this up now).