[packagekit] Problems with GPK and Yum Plugins

rotru at br.ibm.com rotru at br.ibm.com
Wed Oct 6 10:11:36 PDT 2010

On 6 October 2010 16:23, <rotru at br.ibm.com> wrote:
>> I uploaded an example of the codes here:
>> We have to hide some repositories  and make them available on the fly
when specific users run yum or any front-end application to it .
>> We get the repos from a webservice and add them dynamically.

> Right, now your error makes sense. PackageKit doesn't really support
> adding and removing repos like this. Put bluntly, it's a hack, and I'm
> surprised it even worked in yum.

Not sure if we could call it a hack, because the plugins were developed
to support stuff like that: exclude packages, add/remove repos, disable
plugins, etc. The plugin have been worked for more then 5 years. I have
not seen issues in the yum command line and with Yumex nether.

> Are you assuming that the UID of the yum process is going to be
> different for each user? PackageKit runs yum as root in a very secure
> clean environment. Without looking at the actual source of your
> plugin, I can't really tell that from your examples.

No, no, I do not use the Yum process UID. The plugin behavior is the same
as the examples I provided. The only difference is that every user has a
kind of UID (locally written), that is what I send to the webservice, to
get the proper repos as a string stream. In the examples I omitted this
part and wrote the repos string like if I was received from the
webservice.

Regards

Rodrigo Trujillo