[packagekit] PackageKit-Gnome issues in Ubuntu Maverick

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Oct 14 09:27:14 PDT 2010

Jean Hubbard wrote:

> I have submitted a bug in regards to this. Bug #634053. This has
> been in ongoing problem in Ubuntu. When it has showed the packages,
> they dont install. I believe that was the case with Lucid. The
> smart backend seems to have similar issues. Bug #598165. Hasnt
> worked at all since i been trying it in Karmic.

I don't think the smart backend bugs were ever posted upstream ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/packagekit/+bug/598165

The problem is that PackageKit doesn't set PATH for the smart backend.

commit e2e963fc22ddbd70575f5cbd42d074789396e4bf

     APT-DBUS: dpkg requires a PATH variable, so set it. Minior code
clean ups.

Adding the same PATH workaround to the smartBackend too makes it work:

+# Required for daemon mode
+os.putenv("PATH", "/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/
bin:/sbin:/bin")
+
  if __name__ == "__main__":
      main()