[packagekit] Apt backend is back

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 2 23:38:53 PST 2011

Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> As you have perhaps already seen in the latest commits to master I
> decided to revive the Python based APT backend. The backend is ported to
> the latest python-apt API.

The obvious question here is: why?

APT is written in C++, not Python, and, while I'm not using it personally (I
use Fedora, not anything deb-based), AFAIK, the native aptcc backend is
working fine, so why revive the Python-based one? We have an application in
C and a library in C++, so why go through Python?

Python backends are actually not that great for PackageKit, and in fact one
of the reasons Richard started zif is to have a non-Python backend for
Fedora.

        Kevin Kofler