[packagekit] Questions and considerations

Daniel Hernandez Bahr dbahr at uci.cu
Thu Feb 3 08:42:01 PST 2011

Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to say that it is a fact that Nova, a Cuban
GNU/Linux distro based on Ubuntu, uses PackageKit GNOME 2.32.0
(henceforth referred to as gpk-application) as default package manager.
We've made some hacks in order to remove synaptic dependency (though any
one could use it should he/she likes to), and so far they work quite
nice. We are truly pleased with gpk-application, yet there are some
considerations.

Is the intended behavior for gpk-application not to be set as
insensitive while performing a transaction, even when there is nothing
that can be done? Shouldn't it be better to let know the user more
firmly that he/she needs to wait for the transaction to finish?

On other hand, how exactly works the service pack feature? How can a
service pack be created or installed (mostly created, I haven't have the
chance to try and install one)??

Last, but not least, when using a system proxy with the no_proxy setting
set, packagekit can't download the packages if the repo is within the
no_proxy rules.

With nothing else to comment just want to congratulate the PackageKit
Team for the great job their doing.

Best regards,

Ing. D.H. Bahr