[packagekit] installing languages

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome.org
Fri Jul 8 03:32:41 PDT 2011

Hi

In the gnome-control-center we are adding a feature to install new
languages from it, and I've found there's not an easy way to do this
cross-distro with the current PK API.

The method to know the packages to be installed differs from distro to
distro. For instance, Ubuntu has a script:

$ check-language-support -l es
firefox-locale-es gimp-help-es libreoffice-help-es libreoffice-l10n-es
myspell-es openoffice.org-hyphenation wspanish
$ check-language-support -l en_GB
firefox-locale-en gimp-help-en hyphen-en-us mythes-en-au mythes-en-us
openoffice.org-hyphenation

Not sure how other distros do it, so I was thinking about having a:

InstallResource ("locale", "es")

call on the session bus interface, so that desktop apps can just call
that and have a UI be shown to do all the installation. Then, each PK
backend would have to retrieve the correct list of packages to be
installed

Comments?