[packagekit] installing languages

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Fri Jul 8 06:39:56 PDT 2011

Hi!

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:40:30 +0100, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> call on the session bus interface, so that desktop apps can just call
>> that and have a UI be shown to do all the installation. Then, each PK
>> backend would have to retrieve the correct list of packages to be
>> installed
>> Comments?
>
> I think it makes a lot of sense to put this kind of distro logic in
> PK. We just have to work out all the details. :)
If we have an InstallResource() for e.g. Plasma Dataengines already,
implementing it for language packs too should be trivial.
The specific collection of language packages etc. will then be handled by
the backend itself, e.g. for Debian we could reuse the existing script and
Yum could implement it's own solution for fetching languages too.
Having this in PK would be valuable for sure!

Kind regards,
   Matthias